It is well known that your teeth are an important part of your overall health. Here at G.R. Sheumaker Jr. DDS, we know that good dental health starts at home. There are eight dental health tips that we recommend to everyone.
- Brush your teeth – The most obvious dental health tip is brushing your teeth twice a day. This is the building block to good dental health. Everyone should be brushing twice a day in circular motions for two to three minutes every day. It is important to reach all of your teeth from back to front and inside to outside. Take notice to not brush too hard as this can cause serious issues.
- Floss – Daily flossing is just as important as daily brushing. Flossing helps to remove bacteria, food, and plaque that can cause bad breath and cavities.
- Fluoride – It is important to make sure that your toothpaste has fluoride in it. It is believed that brushing and flossing without fluoride will not prevent cavities.
- Regular Dentist Appointments – We recommend seeing your dentist and dental hygienist every 6 months to clean your teeth and to make sure that your teeth and gums are healthy.
- Reduce your sugar intake – Sugars from candy and dessert, as well as sugars found in starchy foods will increase your likelihood of developing cavities.
- Drink water – Drink water and not sugary drinks. The added sugars from juice, soda, and other sugary drinks will increase your chances of developing cavities.
- No smoking – Smoking can limit your body’s ability to heal. It can also lead to gum disease issues.
- Mouthwash – Mouthwash should not take the place of brushing and flossing your teeth, but it can help to increase your mouth’s health when used in combination with brushing and flossing.
We understand how important your dental health is, and we hope that these dental health tips will help you keep your mouth healthy and clean.