While it is a given that twice-a-year visits to your dentist are an important part of dental health, there are more things you can be doing to ensure you keep your smile for a lifetime. It may seem that it would take a lot of effort, but the following dental health tips are relatively easy to incorporate into your daily routine and lifestyle:
- Brush, floss, and use mouth wash. You only need to brush and floss the teeth you want to keep. Joking aside, brushing twice a day as well as after eating sticky, sweet foods, and flossing and using mouth wash are your best defense against bad breath, gum disease, and cavities.
- Pay attention to mouth sores. You should always see your dentist if you notice a mouth sore that has lasted more than a week as this can be a sign of an oral disease.
- Drink water or chew sugar-free gum. You need salivation and hydration to combat cavities and bad breath.
- Avoid sugar as much as possible. Having a sweet tooth is normal, but it is important to reduce sugar consumption or at least be sure to rinse out your mouth or brush after enjoying that sweet snack. Sugary beverages are another thing to avoid but you can minimize the problem by using a straw to keep the liquid off your teeth.
- Eat healthy food. Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet will help you combat gum disease. In fact, crunching on an apple, carrot or other crunchy food after a meal will help clear off foods you don’t want to stick around.
These are just a few of the general dental health tips that pertain to nearly everyone. For a more personalized approach to good oral health care, give us a call at the dental office of Northside Family Dental. We are happy to discuss ways in which you can attain and maintain a smile for a lifetime. We offer a wide variety of dental services to restore and maintain good dental health.