Although most people go to the dentist only for routine cleanings and checkups, there are a number of other dentistry services available. While some are necessary for maintaining and improving oral health, others are also quite popular.
- Whitening Treatments: There are so many things we do every day, including growing older, that can result in our teeth becoming less white and stained. Dentistry services using a peroxide-based material are very effective at improving discolored teeth.
- Implants and Bridges: There is no reason to go through life with missing teeth when implants and bridges can be constructed to replace them. Bridges are a technique whereby a false tooth is put in place by being attached to crowns on either side. These bridges can be supported by natural teeth or by implants. An implant is involves having a post or frame surgically positioned into the jawbone as an anchor for replacement teeth.
- Crowns: Also called a cap, a crown is a covering that is placed over a damaged or broken tooth. Crowns sit over the entire natural tooth. They can also be used to hold bridges in place, as mentioned before.
- Root Canals: Often one of the most dreaded of dentistry services, a root canal is a common way to save teeth that would otherwise need to be removed. The technique removes the tissue at the center of the tooth and replaces it. This is a way to deal with cracked teeth and deep cavities that, if left untended, can lead to an abscess, which is not only painful, but also destroys bone in your jaw.
- Fillings: Fillings are common dentistry services that are used to repair teeth by removing a cavity and replacing it with one of a number of different materials, such as tooth-colored resin.
- Extractions: Unfortunately, sometimes a tooth just cannot be saved or, as in the case of wisdom teeth, are presenting a problem in the mouth and the only answer is extraction.
Many of the more complex dentistry services can be avoided with regular dental care and proper oral hygiene at home. At the dental office of G.R. Sheumaker, Jr. DDS, we can go over any recommendations so you understand what is needed and why.