Many people don’t know that crowns are not entirely maintenance-free and, just like natural teeth, they need regular care. Below are some good ways to make your crown last for as long as possible.
- When the crown has been cemented in, dentists say you should avoid chewing hard food immediately after. This precaution is important, since cementation can take a number of hours before setting permanently. Chewing hard food may damage the crown.
- Dentists also recommend avoiding sticky foods, since they can weaken dental crowns.
In terms of dental hygiene, it’s important to know that a crown can be destroyed by harmful bacteria in the environment. As such, the following measures will help crowns last longer:
- After every meal, brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush.
- Flossing is recommended, not just for crowns, but for improved overall dental health. It helps remove tartar and plaque deposits from between the teeth, which brushing alone can’t do.
- Using a recommended dental mouthwash before going to bed at night is also effective in the care of crowns, as well as your other teeth.
These are some really simple ways to maximize the life of dental crowns, while also ensuring they remain clean and bacteria-free for as long as possible. Finally, it’s also important to visit your dentist regularly to have your crown checked for damage and to maintain its integrity.
Need dental crowns in Lakeland FL? Visit us at the dental office of G.R. Sheumaker Jr. DDS. Our friendly and caring staff are dedicated to helping you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile. Give us a call today.