Crowns & bridges are common restorative dental procedures that help protect your teeth and restore your smile, so taking proper care of them is essential. Our team here at Northside Family Dental wants to help you maintain a smile you’ll love, so we put together this short guide on caring for your dental implants. Read on to learn a few essential maintenance tips for crowns & bridges.
- Avoid chewing hard objects. Chewing things like ice, pens, or your fingernails can put unnecessary stress on crowns & bridges and may damage them or cause them to come loose. If you have a chewing habit, we suggest swapping hard items for something softer, such as sugar-free gum.
- Wear a mouthguard for bruxism. Speaking of chewing, if you grind your teeth in your sleep, consider wearing a mouthguard to help protect your crowns & bridges. Even if you don’t have crowns & bridges, a mouthguard can help protect your natural teeth from the wear of grinding or clenching.
- Avoid sticky or hard foods. Certain foods, like taffy, hard candies, toffee, and caramels, can dislodge or damage crowns & bridges. Notice something in common with all these? In general, it’s best to limit sweets consumption for better overall tooth health, but especially if you have crowns & bridges.
- Be consistent with dental checkups. Regular checkups are important no matter what, but they’re especially important if you’ve had a restorative procedure. Your dentist will be able to check the condition of your crowns & bridges, ensuring that they’re still doing their job.
- Develop good dental hygiene habits. This is another one that is important no matter what, but especially for those with crowns & bridges. Brushing twice per day with a soft bristle brush and flossing once per day will help keep your crowns & bridges clean, as well as keep the rest of your mouth healthy.
If you have questions about how to care for crowns & bridges properly, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office!