At the office of G.R. Sheumaker Jr. DDS, we want to help you take better care of your teeth and gums! Whether you’re a teenager, a senior citizen, or somewhere in between, following these tips can help you prevent dental problems and maintain a beautiful, healthy smile:
- Brush the right way—Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush along your gum line at a 45-degree angle using an up and down motion. Use toothpaste containing fluoride and plan on brushing at least two times a day.
- Floss—You’ve probably heard this a million times, but one of the best things you can do for your teeth and gums is to floss. Flossing allows you to remove substances from in between your teeth that you can’t reach with a toothbrush or mouthwash.
- Stay away from tobacco—Smoking and other types of tobacco use can create severe problems for your teeth, including an elevated risk of periodontal disease.
- Limit sugary drinks—Instead of going for a soda or a glass of juice, stick to water instead. Not only can beverages like these compromise the whiteness of your teeth, but they also contain chemicals that can harm your enamel.
- Use mouthwash—Rinsing your mouth out after you floss and brush can kill harmful bacteria in your mouth and keep your breath nice and fresh.
- Eat a healthy diet—Your teeth need plenty of vitamins and minerals to stay strong. Limit sugar and try to eat more vegetables, protein, calcium, and grains.
- Clean your tongue—Every day, clean the surface of your tongue using a tongue cleaner. Doing this can eliminate bacteria that contribute to bad breath and negatively impact your overall dental health.
- Visit your dentist—Make sure you come into our office for a checkup and cleaning every six months. If it’s been a while since your last appointment, give us a call today!